[ RadSafe ] All train Vehicle Installation og HPGe Portable GammaSpectrometer

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Tue Jan 13 13:47:39 CST 2009

Moshe --

We have a Falcon 5000 that we installed on an equipment lift to support
inspections of tractor-trailers at a commercial vehicle inspection
station west of Atlanta. Right now the Falcon is in the shop --
experienced some vacuum leaks -- and we don't know exactly why. We did,
however, notice that it was banging around a good bit while we were
rolling it around on the (concrete) parking lot. We don't know if the
shock contributed to the repair issues we're experiencing -- but I would
urge you to do some SERIOUS shock mounting if you're going to haul a
portable HpGe -- regardless of whether it's Canberra or Ortec -- around
in a 4x4. We've since improved (we think) our shock mounting -- but we
won't know for sure until the detector is returned.

I would be interested in following the progress of this project. We've
considered doing something similar ourselves.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
Personal fax: (404) 521-4485
E-mail: Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> *** *** MosheK at sviva.gov.il> 1/13/2009 03:34 >> (
mailto:MosheK at sviva.gov.il> )

Hello RadSafe Group,

We intend to install our portable HPGe Gamma Spectrometer on 4X4 all
train pickup. We wonder if there is relevant experience in installing
Canberra's "Falcon" or Ortec's "Detective" that members would like to
share with us.

Best regards
Moshe Keren, M.Occ.H.,
Head of Ionizing Inspection Unit
Noise and Radiation Abatement Department
Ministry of Environmental Protection
Israel
5 Kanfei Nesharim St.,Jerusalem 95464, Israel
Tel:972-2-6495840
Fax:972-2-6516632
Cell:972-50-6233109
e-mail:moshek at sviva.gov.il