[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 181, Issue 3

Philip Egidi pvegidi at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Mon Jan 26 14:27:54 CST 2009

Glad I put a question mark after my second dose, I stand corrected, it must have been about 40 mCi.
Thanks.
PVE

>>> On 1/26/2009 at 1:25 PM, in message <AC0B8159521D3F459393AE5753158482E1ECCC3659 at EVS4.clinlan.local>, "Goudy, Glenn" <goudygh at musc.edu> wrote:
In the cardiolite test the first dose is between 5 and 20 mCi.  The second dose is approzimately 40  to 50 mCi max.  Larger doses case the cameras to become saturated and the cardiac tissue cannot be properly imaged.  In the case of a very large individual the second dose is 50 mCi on the first day with a 50 mCi dose administered the following day.  If the patient is administered Tl-201 then the radioacitve material will reside within the patient for a longer period. Assuming a 3 day half life and biological release fo 48 hours the patient can remain radioactive up to 3 weeks and there have been instances where patients have set off portal detectors at Nuclear Facilities when entering the facility after 4 weeks post stress test.

Glenn Goudy
RSO
MUSC