[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 181, Issue 3

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Wed Jan 28 21:24:15 CST 2009

Measuring the dose rate from a patient with common survey equipment is
inherently problematic. GM's and scintillators (with the exception of tissue
equivalent scintillators) is strongly effected by the energy response. As an
example using the most common GM detectors pancake and 3 inch end window to
measure dose rate from a patient for either Cs-131 or I-125 prostate implant
will result in a factor of 3 too high a reading as compared to a tissue
equivalent scintillator or ion chamber (assuming Cs-137 calibration to dose
for the GM and scintillator).

Most diagnostic radiopharmaceutical administrations will be 2 mrad/hr or
less at 1 meter immediately after administration.

Dale