[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 181, Issue 3

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Wed Jan 28 21:55:50 CST 2009

Optimal half-lives for diagnostic radiopharmaceuticals is comparable to the
localization time. That said, it isn't always possible. Since there are a
limited number of candidates compromise is the name of the game.

With a half life of 6 hours Tc-99m and its various chelating agents
localizes fast enough to allow enough activity to be administered to allow
relatively rapid imaging. I-123 localizes sufficiently rapidly to allow its
use for imaging thyroid and thyroid CA mets.  Most other diagnostic and
therapeutic isotopes are around 3 days.

The currently defunct Ho166 treatment of multiple myeloma was 26 hours to
shorten the time the patient could undergoe autologous stem cell transplant.
Otherwise, the ~3 day Y-90 would have been a better choice for better dose
to non-target/target ratio.

Three days is sort of a default half-life that optimizes the initial dose
activity, localization, imaging speed, and dose to non-target tissue. Oh,
and yeah, the ability of a manufacturer to economically distribute the
isotope.

PET isotopes are sort of a wild card. The high dose due to the positron
requires a very short half-life to get a reasonable imaging time without too
high a dose to the patient. Fortunately, PET isotopes/radioparmaceuticals
are chosen that image and decay very rapidly.

Dale