[ RadSafe ] Re: Please X-ray My Veggies

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jan 29 20:00:14 CST 2009

Don:

	Thanks for the link.  I look forward to reading
the report more carefully when I get a chance.  It
looks interesting and reassuring.

	Meanwhile, I'm sending this response to the Radsafe
list, because others might like to have the information you sent.

	By the way, I sent the piece around as an sample
of what's out there, with no endorsement implied or intended.

	In the earlier Australian cat-food correspondence, it
was said that the food was irradiated at 50 times the dose
that apples get.  I don't recall that the dose was given, but
that sounds like a lot.

	The report whose link you sent says that doses of 50
kGy and more have been shown to be safe.  I recall seeing
pictures of scorched mail that was delivered to Congress
after the anthrax episode, so it seems that excessive
irradiation can be damaging to some materials.  I wonder
how that compares with the Aussie cat-food dose.;

	Cheers,

		George