[ RadSafe ] RE: 477 keV gamma in PWR RCS sample

McGrath, Jack Jack.McGrath at constellation.com
Fri Jul 10 09:22:13 CDT 2009

Hey All,

Thanks to everyone who provided input to this question!  The responders who identified Be-7 were correct.  Our decay and half-life determination concluded Be-7 as the nuclide.

I was initially not inclined to identify Be-7 in the reactor coolant system as my experience has been that this is a naturally occurring isotope.  Thanks to the response of many Radsafers, I now know that it is an isotope formed in pressurized water reactors.

Jack McGrath
Sr. Chemist Ginna Station
1503 Lake Rd.
Ontario, New York  14519