[ RadSafe ] Iodine Therapy Rooms

Poston Jr,Jay jposton at mdanderson.org
Tue Jul 14 14:29:00 CDT 2009

We are looking to change our process for preparing our iodine therapy rooms.  Right now we paper the floor and the bath room with "butcher paper" and incontinent pads.  We cover just about everything else with plastic or incontinent pads, also.  Recently some concerns have been raised about a tripping hazard existing due to the papered floors.  Nuclear Medicine and Nursing wants to stop papering the floors, but of course they aren't the ones performing the decontamination and this won't increase their work.  Any other suggestions out there on a better approach to protecting the floors?

The room floor is linoleum and the bathroom floor is grouted tiles, so we are also looking to remove the old flooring and to cover them with some kind of epoxy flooring with rounded corners and coping.  Anyone have any success (or bad experiences) with such an approach?

Finally, the thought came up to change out the ceramic sink and toilet with stainless steel.  Anyone have any success (or bad experiences) with such an approach?

Thanks,
Jay Poston