[ RadSafe ] RE: Iodine Therapy Rooms

Michael, Joey L joey-michael at uiowa.edu
Tue Jul 14 15:41:45 CDT 2009

We use Chux pads (incontinent pads).  Tape them around all edges and they shouldn't be a tripping hazard.  We still have porcelain sinks and toilets.  They seem to absorb the iodine and release some of it, so stainless may be better.  Maybe your risk management people need to be involved.  I would let nursing and nuclear medicine know that if you don't cover the floor, the room may be down for several days.  The hospital risks losing revenue due to an empty un-billable room vs. the chance that someone could trip.  We've never had anyone trip as far as I know.  We did have a problem years ago before we used a lead lined room.  To achieve an exposure rate of <2 mR/hr in the hall, the bed was moved.  This caused problems because of all the other medical equipment in the room  - so I would advise against doing that.

Maybe there is some kind of rubber mat that could be unrolled to cover the floor and removed after the therapy for decay in storage.  You would need several, it would be hard/awkward to manipulate and take up space.

I guess the other option would be to put the patient in something like a level A hazmat suit so that everything stays contained , but that would cause other problems.

I'm curious to see other responses on this as well.