[ RadSafe ] Iodine Therapy Rooms

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 21:48:12 CDT 2009

Jay,

It has been awhile since I had to deal with this, but when I was a hospital
RSO, we used Whatman Benchcoat (tm). It is a smooth eggshell type paper with
a tight plastic backing. We put it down with duct tape (the original
manufacturer really did call it "duck" tape).

It was much less of a hazard as it was a relatively stiff paper that laid
flat if a little attention was given when installing it. We left a small gap
between strips so that tape held the assembly down somewhat at 30"
intervals. Plastic side down, so that the paper would absorb the, blood,
sweat, a tears (as well as the urine).

Don't even think about not covering grouted tile in a bathroom floor. It is
porous, and it will never come clean, except by decay. Grouted tile around
the sink isn't usually a huge problem, as the concentration of iodine it
sees is low.

Memory is fading somewhat, but I think we finally made the toilet and sink
cleaning easier by using an tincture of iodine solution as opposed to an
iodide solution. Vague recollection that betadine may have also worked.

The thing you really do NOT want to do is throw NaI or KI down on a floor
and then use a chlorinated cleanser like Ajax or Comet. It took about two
seconds for the chemist in me wake up and go "Oh S***". It took about two
weeks working 4 hours a day on hands and knees for me to change the color of
the floor  back to an off white tile color from the dirty yellow brown of an
iodinated vinyl floor. (I could have, but would not delegate that
"pleasure").

In my defense, most patients use the toilet instead of the floor
exclusively. Initial dose rate in the patient's bathroom was tens of mrad
waist height from beta radiation.  When we were done the toilet was clean
without any decon! (Duh, it wasn't used.)

Dale