[ RadSafe ] doses below 7,5mySv

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Thu Jul 16 09:01:16 CDT 2009

Marco,

If you have a lot of experience in this area, please excuse me for stating the obvious.  You have not really given enough information to assess the situation.  Any good dose program requires a technical basis for making decisions.  The technical basis should include factors such as dose limits, background and other interferences, missed dose (statistical sensitivities), frequency of the monitoring & expected and known statistical variability and process bias.  The processes used should regularly be tested using a quality assurance program.

The US NRC provides regulatory guides for developing dose evaluation programs among other things:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/reg-guides/occupational-health/active/

Years ago in the US it was common practice to round negative dose up to zero; this practice has been dropped in favor of using actual data (unbiased results).   If you have data, use your data.  If your results are always reported as <MDA or some other statistical value, consider the "missed dose" and if too large with respect to reporting limits, the possibility of changing methods of detection and reporting.

Hope this helps.

Barbara Reider, CHP