AW: [ RadSafe ] DU Disposal in Utah

chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za
Mon Jul 20 08:29:11 CDT 2009

It is a shame anyone, e.g. Jerry Cohen, can take such a jaundiced view of
radio-activity to call it 'evil'. It is safe to say that without
radioactivity earth would have been devoid of life as we know it. When
Darwin published his 'Origin of Species', he had enough knowledge of
geology not to be troubled too much by the Biblical '6000 years since
creation', but he was truly troubled by the calculation of a respected
physicist that the earth would cool from a molten state to its present
temperature in only 60000 years, which would also be woefully inadequate
for significant evolution to take place. It was only at the end of the
nineteenth century, after Darwin's death, that the discovery of
radio-activity resolved the conundrum.  Heat from radio-active decay has
kept the earth habitable for effectively billions of years. Without it
there would have been no life to protect against evil or whatever.
Cheers!
chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za