[ RadSafe ] External radiation treatment for Prostate Cancer

Brian Rees brees at lanl.gov
Tue Jul 28 16:11:37 CDT 2009

A colleague and friend of mine is receiving external radiation
treatment for prostate cancer.  He had some questions regarding his
dose that I was unable to answer, so I figured I'd turn to Radsafe:

He has been told that the total dose over 8 weeks of treatment is 58
Gy, is that reasonable? (I KNOW that the Doctor prescribes treatment,
and does what they think is best, but this seems a bit low to me)

What is the probable energy of the radiation?  He was told 6 MeV,
that seems kinda high to me.  Or is this just Emax, with E ave ~1/3 Emax?

Is there an approximate whole body dose for each treatment or an
integrated WB dose equivalent?  Even approximately?  Since blood is
irradiated, and there's some scatter, I figure there's some sort of
pseudo-WB dose....

Thanks,
Brian Rees