[ RadSafe ] Prostate Radiation Treatment

Robert Barish robbarish at verizon.net
Thu Jul 30 02:07:13 CDT 2009

It is very likely that the person who heard a dose of  58 Gy over eight
weeks as the radiation therapy prescription for his prostate cancer simply
reversed the numbers: 85 Gy  is a reasonable value for a curative
external-beam approach using IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy).

Also, for a number of reasons, many sites do indeed use 6 MV rather than the
10 MV, 15 MV or 18 MV that their linear accelerators can also produce.  The
most important of these is that the dose distributions obtained with
multiple 6 MV fields are very conformal to the required treatment volume
while sparing the surrounding sensitive normal structures. So the
"horsepower" needed years ago when four-field "box" treatment were the norm
no longer is necessary. Another reason is the secondary neutron production
in the accelerator that occurs with those higher-energy beams. Since IMRT
treatments typically involve 3-5 times more "beam on" time (expressed as
increased monitor units) for an identical treatment dose when compared with
conventional (3-D) radiotherapy, the leakage radiation from the accelerator
contributes that much more whole-body dose to the patient. The photon
component is limited to a value of about 0.1% of the treatment dose in the
form of direct leakage. Added to this is the room and patient scatter dose,
the value of which is a more complex function of the room size and geometry.
At 6 MV there is no neutron production since that photon energy is below the
binding energy of the materials in the accelerator structure. At the higher
energies available with these linacs, the photon dose is supplemented by the
neutron component. At 18 MV, that value is about 0.15 percent of the monitor
units, so with IMRT, for the 85 Gy treatment described here, a patient's
whole-body dose can be as much as 450 mGy from photons with a 6 MV treatment
where the "IMRT factor" is about 5, and more than 1 Sv if a 15 MV beam is
used. That high whole-body dose troubles those concerned about induced
malignancies in patients who are cured of their cancer and might survive
long enough to reach a point where secondary tumors caused by the radiation
treatment might occur.

Robert Barish, PhD, DABR, CHP
Radiation Shielding Consultant