[ RadSafe ] GammaVision gamma spectroscopy software

Michael McNaughton mcnaught at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 3 17:43:02 CDT 2009

Dear Radsafers

I would appreciate some help on how to interpret the detailed "Gamma
Spectroscopy" pages printed by the GammaVision Report Writer.

For example, in the "Summary of Library Peak Usage," when several
peaks are listed for a particular radionuclide, I expect to see the
activity listed for each peak, and then I expect the "Average
Activity" to be an average of some or all of the activities for
individual peaks. Also, I would expect to see the peaks that
contribute to the final activity to be marked to indicate: "This peak
is used in the nuclide activity average." In some cases, I do indeed
see what I expect. In other cases, I see several peaks listed with an
activity identical to the average, including peaks that are marked:
"Peak fails sensitivity test" or "Peak activity lower than counting
uncertainty range".

I am also puzzled by the "Identified peak summary", for example for
Ra-226. Many of the peaks used by Ra-226 are from Bi-214 or Pb-214.
However, the "Net Area Counts" for Ra-226 are very different from
those for Bi-214 or Pb-214. For example, I have a case for which the
area of the 1408-keV peak is listed as 0.00 counts for Pb-214 and
1206.11 counts for Ra-226. Also, the 609-keV peak is listed as 0.00
counts for Bi-214 and 983.77 counts for Ra-226.

mike

Mike McNaughton
Los Alamos National Lab.
email: mcnaught at LANL.gov or mcnaughton at LANL.gov
phone: 505-667-6130; page: 505-664-7733