AW: [ RadSafe ] Uranium grinding wheels

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jun 10 15:06:30 CDT 2009

John,

I agree with you, but though not really being an expert in grinding
equipment I think that the old days, when natural materials were used for
this purpose are long gone. Granite was obviously not used, because it was
to hard to be put into the necessary shape. Sandstone seems to have been the
preferred material. New materials like synthetic carbides and oxides have
since long replaced the old ones (like different sandstones). I see it
whenever I have to sharpen my excellent and beautiful Japanese knives.
------ I interrupted writing, because I got interrested in the radioactivity
of my sharpening and grinding stones! Here are the results: none of the six
of them showed any elevated radioactivity. Unfortunately (!) I do not have a
HPGe gammaspectrometry unit at home, but I think that the primitive dose
rate meter I have indicates the lack of excessive radiation as well.

This sounds like fun, but to be honest I wonder how the obviously
governmental and official HSS can issue such an unfounded opinion!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7