[ RadSafe ] Question re atomic tests

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Jun 12 22:33:15 CDT 2009

June 12

         Do a Google search for "A. L. Rowland," "Foskett," and "evidence"
to get this link:

http://theaussiedigger.com/TheAussieDiggerForum/index.php?topic=13.0

         Read the "Digger" article, do a Google search for "A. L. Rowland"
and "chromosomal aberrations," and get this link:

http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000125832,
which takes you to this:

Cytogenet Genome Res 2008;121:79-87

Original Article

Elevated chromosome translocation frequencies in New Zealand nuclear test
veterans
M.A. Wahaba, E.M. Nicklessa, R. Najar-M'Kacherc, C. Parmentierc, J.V.
Poddb, R.E. Rowlanda

aInstitute of Molecular Bioscience and
bSchool of Psychology, Massey University, Palmerston North (New Zealand)
cUPRES EA 27-10 Institut de Cancérologie Gustave-Roussy, Villejuif (France)

Abstract.

In 1957/58 the British Government conducted a series of nuclear tests in
the mid-Pacific codenamed Operation Grapple, which involved several naval
vessels from Britain and New Zealand. Two New Zealand frigates with 551
personnel onboard were stationed at various distances between 20 and 150
nautical miles from ground zero. In the present study we applied the
cytomolecular technique mFISH (multicolour fluorescent in situ
hybridisation) to investigate a potential link between chromosome
abnormalities and possible past radiation exposure in New Zealand nuclear
test veterans who participated in Operation Grapple. Compared to age
matched controls, the veterans showed significantly higher (P < 0.0001)
frequencies of chromosomal abnormalities (275 translocations and 12
dicentrics in 9,360 cells vs. 96 translocations and 1 dicentric in 9,548
cells in the controls), in addition to a significant excess of CCRs
(complex chromosomal rearrangements) in the veterans. A Kolmogorov-Smirnoff
test showed that the distributions of translocations for the two groups
were significantly different.

Copyright © 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel

         Elementary, my dear Watson.  (Or should I say 'Google-mentary'?)

Steven Dapra