[ RadSafe ] Question re atomic tests

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Jun 13 03:35:21 CDT 2009

June 13

         This man Rowland is known as Al Rowland, however his name is R. E.
Rowland.  (I haven't been able to ascertain what the R. E. stands for.)  He
has also collaborated on some work (with a cohort of 24 New Zealand Vietnam
veterans) which suggests (or "proves") that exposure to Agent Orange caused
an "observable genetic effect" which is visible today.  (Cytogenet Genome
Res 2007;116:248-251).

         For more of Rowland's work see
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~wwpubafs/2007/Press_Releases/nuclear-test-vets-report.pdf
This is 57 pages of PDF, a report describing the research of Rowland and
colleagues on some New Zealand nuclear test veterans.  The NZ vets were
exposed to some nuclear tests known as Operation Grapple, which were
conducted in 1957-1958.  Rowland et al. found "elevated translocation
frequencies in peripheral blood lymphocytes."  (p. iv)  This report
evaluates 50 nuclear test veterans and compares them to 50 matched
controls. (p.9)

         Here's a short summary article from the Sydney (AU) Morning
Herald:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/nz-study-paves-way-for-nuclear-test-cash-claim/2007/05/14/1178995077352.html

         A Google search for "A. L. Rowland" and "New Zealand" will turn up
more answers than one would care to read.

Steven Dapra