[ RadSafe ] risk from being overweight

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 23 23:38:30 CDT 2009

Friends,

In the olden days, we used to compare the risk from 1 mSv to the
hypothetical risk of some other activity, like drinking a glass of wine.
Since then, the HPS has (rightly) discouraged the practice of calculating
risks from trivially small exposures. Now, I use a slide comparing the life
expectancy reduction of different (real) risk factors and calculate the
amount of radiation exposure one would need to get the same reduction in
life expectancy. The results are, of course, non-trivial exposures and I am
not violating the HPS position statement.

One line of the slide states that being 15% overweight will reduce your life
expectancy by about 2 years (can't remember off-hand where I got this value)
and that you would need to get 150 mSv/year every year to get the same
reduction.

I would appreciate if someone could comment on the loss of life expectancy
from being overweight. Specifically with regard to this article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE55N0C720090624 . It
claims that overweight people live the longest. Obese and normal weight
people come in second, extremely obese people came in third, while
underweight people died youngest. To me, this was somewhat surprising.

Thanks,
Kai

Kai Kaletsch
Environmental Instruments Canada Inc.