AW: [ RadSafe ] Mobile phone studies in Vienna (translated by Babelfish)

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Jun 29 10:43:56 CDT 2009

Dear Doug and RADSAFErs,

Doug, thank you for your hints regarding pdf-file. Thank you also for
providing this Babelfish translation because i caused me a smile and the
security that humans cannot yet be replaced in some fields by computers!

I have a very serious question to the English speaking RADSAFErs: Were you
able to understand from the translation the content of the article? If you
want you may send your answer to me directly.

As in all languages, the same word may have very different meanings and this
seems also in the case of this translation to be the most difficult item.
Examples: "Mobilfunkstudien" means "cellular mobile telephony" or probably
"mobile telephony studies", but it has nothing to do with a mobile radio.
Or: "Ruf" may mean both "call" (as used in the translation) or (as in the
original text) "reputation". Or: The name of the weekly journal is
"Spiegel", therefore it cannot be literarilly translated to "MIRROR". Or:
What are human cell preparations of mobile phones?

I admit that the translation technologies hava made a tremendous progress,
but it still is in my opinion far from fit to translate something from an
unknown language. I remember that Ruth Weiner once mentioned on RADSAFE that
she used these programmes for instance to make a very rough translation from
a language she knows to English and then she corrects it in order to save
time and effort.

I expect your comments!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD