[ RadSafe ] Total amount of plutonium dispersed in atomic bomb explosions etc

Brian Rees brees at lanl.gov
Thu Mar 19 10:44:44 CDT 2009

Bjorn,

At one point I heard somebody say that we (all of
us) urinate 1,000,000 atoms of Pu per day from
fallout.  I thought that was interesting, and did
some quick calculations based on body burdens of
Pu from cadavers from various parts of the U.S.
and calculated  the number to be closer to
3,000,000.  I did not do any sophisticated or
complex modeling or calculations, and there are
multiple factors that could change the actual
value, but I felt comfortable with a million.

As far as what CAN happen, keep in mind that one
ejaculation can populate the entire world, it's a matter of delivery...

Brian Rees
(Obviously) my own opinions.....