[ RadSafe ] Enforcement of IATA/ICAO/IAEA "regulations"

Bourquin, Marty Marty.Bourquin at grace.com
Thu Mar 19 15:15:41 CDT 2009

We have been audited numerous times by the FAA (predominantly for non
rad air shipments of hazardous materials but also for some rad
shipments).  They will enforce the ICAO/IATA rules.  We have never been
cited for any problems but they always make a point of pointing out the
difference in training requirements.
My understanding is that 49CFR171.7 incorporates by reference the ICAO
rules and technical instructions and that the use of these requirements
is further defined in 171.22-171.24 (and 171.25 for IMDG and 171.26 for
IAEA)

Marty

Martin W. Bourquin
Manager - EHS