[ RadSafe ] Guidance on ALARA

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Wed Mar 25 14:32:46 CDT 2009

Regarding ALARA,

It seems like the avoided cost approach should work here, but I'm not an
economics person so feel free to add to the discussion.

For example, if the avoided cost of  0.1 mSv is $5000, and the robot costs
$6000 more than a worker to save that 0.1 mSv (over the same time period,
present value cost, etc., etc.), it seems like ALARA would hold that the
worker is the better choice.  The usual caveats apply, i.e. total dose has
to be within regulatory limits, it would have to apply to the whole work
crew (10-100 people) vs. the replacement robots, etc., etc.

The point is that ALARA in and of itself does not mandate 0.0 dose.  Some
interpreters insist on some pretty ridiculous extremes, but IMHO, that's
only because the numbers are so low now, that we've lost sight of reality.

BTW, I personally "believe" in ALARA, but it aint science, it's an
approach.  'nuff said  - - jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768