[ RadSafe ] "There's No Such Thing As Nuclear Waste" Three stage Indian nuclear programme

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 12:13:01 CDT 2009

Dear Dr Stanford,

Thank you very much for the references to literature. They will provide  information on many advanced areas of nuclear technology.  They will be very useful for me as I  have commitments to write popular science articles in some of the leading English language dailies in India.

India opted for  a three stage nuclear power programme
(conceptually from 50's) as it has very moderate uranium resources with an abysmally low grade ore of 0.1%  and very rich thorium resources
Besides, the Government is facing a very hostile environment in mining its best grade ore. India is going ahead with its program.

India's nuclear program  may be more ambitious as it wants to use U-238 to produce Pu-239 and at the last stage to produce U-233 by irradiating thorium-232; the technology development is needed in several areas.Among them perhaps the most important is to handle fuel, emitting hard gamma rays from the precursors of  U-233.

Regards
K.S.Parthasarathy