AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Claims About Three Mile Island

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Mar 25 17:43:25 CDT 2009

Dear Ed,

Since you mention „Turkey“ I remember a funny story in this context – though
the Chernobyl situation was not funny at all.

The contamination limits in force during that time were all based on 1 kg or
1 L. We found that Turkish tea, which is mostly grown in the areas close to
the former Sovjetunion was heavily contaminated – no wonder, with this big
leavy area to intercept contamination from aerosols or precipitation,
enhanced dramatically by drying the leaves. Now imagine one kilogramm of
dried tea leaves and compare it, to the amount (four spoonfuls) for a liter
of tea! It was hard work for me to press through, that the contamination
should be on the basis of the final drink! Very similar was the problem with
hazelnuts, which were also heavily contaminated. The whole choclate industry
was at stake before Christmas! Also here I was finally able to persuade the
bureaucrats, that the limit should be regarded for the final product. Since
the export of hazelnuts is very important for Turkey I suppose that the
Turkish authorities were happy to take up my arguments.....

What we can learn from that is, that also in radiation protection we should
use common sense!

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD