[ RadSafe ] X-ray production near xenon arc lamps? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed May 20 11:52:31 CDT 2009

Hi, Jerry.

While this isn't my field, it seems to me that x-rays would be produced
when the electrons from the cathode slam into the anode.  The high
voltage at ignition are in the range of what is used with an x-ray tube,
so I don't have much trouble imagining that there would be x-ray
production (though I have no idea how much).  I suspect that the
sustaining voltage isn't high enough to generate x-rays, especially as a
fair portion of the energy is being used to excite the gas molecules.

>From a risk point of view, I suspect that x-rays are not in the top five
of hazards that someone working with xenon arc lamps should keep in
mind.  The first, I suspect, is that the light is so bright that
permanent eye damage is only an inattentive moment away.  50kV with
non-trivial amps can alter your lifestyle very quickly.  A quartz tube
with 300 atm would explode like a glass grenade if handled too roughly.
The lamp is probably hot enough to char flesh.  All of these hazards are
probably dealt with in the design of most of the machines using the arc
lamps, but I am always amazed at the ways people find to overcome safety
systems.