[ RadSafe ] RE: Question on Subtracting TLD Background

Konzen, Kevin K Kevin.Konzen at icp.doe.gov
Thu May 28 16:59:47 CDT 2009

I wanted to thank everyone for their response regarding the subtraction
of TLD background.  I received excellent feedback with the majority
indicating that it is important to stay with the individual storage
board TLD background, unless they are all consistent with each other,
which is not the case.  I also performed an impact study for the past
year's assignment of dose and realized there was a large amount of
potential false positives or false negatives (e.g., ~20% each) if an
average site background were to be used.  This was considered
unacceptable; therefore, I have concluded that the individual storage
board backgrounds should continue to be used.

Thank You,

Kevin Konzen, CHP

ICP Technical Advisor

Kevin.Konzen at icp.doe.gov