[ RadSafe ] New Russian Power Reactor

Peter Bossew Peter.Bossew at reflex.at
Fri Nov 13 02:42:49 CST 2009

Wes

"fairly new"....   this is a typical RBMK-1000, of which they have 2 of
generation 2 (=Chernobyl 3+4)(pic. 1) and one of generation 3 in Smolensk.
All definitively obsolete technology.
The pictures seem to be taken in unit 1 or 2, according to the design,
which I know from Chernobyl. On picture 28, panel 1T, you can see the
(in)famous AZ5 button (the red one under the protective cover)(I think at
least).
On pic. 40 you can see the flow scheme of the primary loop quite well.
Note the four drum steam separators; the red lines (labelled "par na TG")
lead to the turbines. Lower left and right you see the feedwater pumps, of
which the engine heads are shown in pics. 16 and 17.
I find pic. 39 particularly interesting, this seems to be a relatively new
feature (I haven't seen it so far). The curve on the left side seems to be
the axial power distribution, while the big graph (a layout of the reactor
core) seems to display enrichment.
Note also the fuel changing machine, pics. 19 and 23, which allows
refuelling during operation.

Peter