[ RadSafe ] New Russian Power Reactor

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 15:53:41 CST 2009

Wes, et al:

Thanks for posting these pics.  I loved the pic of the wall of gauges.

Although not a rector HP, during the course of my career I have been to many plants of different kinds in various countries, PWR, BWR, HTGR, graphite core, swimming pool, small research...  I believe these are graphite block reactors, technology same as Chernobyl as Peter said.  I was in a similar nuke plant in Lithuania in about 1990.  It was not quite so clean looking as this, I think due to ugly foam that looked like after the fact fire added protection or insulation.  I didn't see the reactor core area.    Not everyone going into the reactor I went into was given individual monitoring, but the Russian scientists working there had TLDs.

The reason the pond has great fishing is probably because it is not reserve water but they are releasing their secondary side coolant water in the pond.  I had heard from the workers at the plant that I visited that the secondary side water was used to heat the town - indeed I found it quite warm temperature wise in the hotel!

Would love to see more people's input about pics.

Barbara Reider, CHP