[ RadSafe ] New Russian Power Reactor

Peter Bossew Peter.Bossew at reflex.at
Fri Nov 13 17:35:07 CST 2009

blreider at aol.com writes:
>Wes, et al:
>
>Thanks for posting these pics.  I loved the pic of the wall of gauges.

They indicate the level of insertion of control elements.

>Although not a rector HP, during the course of my career I have been to
>many plants of different kinds in various countries, PWR, BWR, HTGR,
>graphite core, swimming pool, small research...  I believe these are
>graphite block reactors, technology same as Chernobyl as Peter said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBMK

(but there are some inaccuracies in the article, I think. The dangerously
high pos. void coeff. was valid only for low power. To my knowlege the
RBMKs have not been used for mil. Pu production, because the SU had enough
true Pu prod. reactors. In the RBMK, designed as power reactors, this
would be very uneconomical. As to safety, the rudimentary containment,
called confinement, can contain the break of only a few pressure tubes,
like 10 out of around 1670. Further problematic points are lack of
redundancy and lack of separation of vital components. - I would guess
that the few RBMKs (11 reactors in 4 locations; the 4 small units in
Bilibino are rather harmless I think)  contribute some 3/4 of the
cumulated risk of all ca. 400 NPPs; this may have changed after their
refurbishment, however.)

>  I was in a similar nuke plant in Lithuania in about 1990.

This is Ignalina, 2 blocks of 1500 MWe, the largest version so far. It
corresponds ca. generation 2, acc. to OPB-82 standards, but with some
improvements. Block 1 has been closed 2004, block 2 is supposed to close
end of this year. This was a condition of the Eur. Un. that Lithuania can
join.

Peter