[ RadSafe ] Optical Couplant

AnaLog Services, Inc. AnaLog at logwell.com
Wed Oct 28 00:52:42 CDT 2009

As far as I know, it is rare to have naked crystal material coupled directly
to the PMT face.  At least it is rare in my industry.  I have seen it, but
only a couple of times.  NaI is quite hygroscopic so dealing with bare
crystal material except in a special facility is problematic.  I believe NaI
is regarded as toxic also.

Heck, we have problems with crystals turning yellow even in the hermetic
containers.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  (270) 276-5671