[ RadSafe ] Optical Couplant

alstonchris at netscape.net alstonchris at netscape.net
Thu Oct 29 17:54:07 CDT 2009

Syd

Well, like I said, it's in research-grade detectors that the direct mating is done (to maximize resolution).  And yes, all seals fail eventually (if a crystal is turning yellow inside a supposedly hermetically sealed detector, it's a sign that moisture has gotten in, i.e., the integrity of the seal is compromised), but detectors can be renewed.  Also, I think that it's not so much the NaI that's toxic, but the doping thallium.  If one were to dispose of a crystal oneself, one would need to do so as hazardous waste.  Which is why it's better to simply return it to the manufacturer/vendor.

Cheers
cja