[ RadSafe ] Childhood Leukemia and proximity to nuclear power plants health effects due to uranium mining

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 3 20:35:57 CDT 2009

Friends,

I recall that there was a study based on cancer incidence around all nuclear power stations in USA. The study used cancer incidence data collected from the health departments.

A few years ago the US Plowshare Fund gave $20,000 to an NGO in India to carry out health survey around the villages around a uranium mine. The study "revealed" excesses of a variety of ailments by cherry picking the data. They could not publish the data in any journal.  Ploughshare agency also never wanted to have a survey of such a standard. But the findings were used in popular dailies through press conferences. These articles also contained gruesome pictures of retarded children etc. My correspondence with the Ploughshare Fund was disappointing.In effect, the agency justified the study saying that the Indian NGO is expected to maintain scientific standards etc!The Agency refused to part with the full details of the study after dillydallying for several months. The Indian NGO continues to present their "findings" at colleges etc.

The funds ($20,000) given by Ploughshare to the Indian NGO may be peanuts as per US standards, but sufficient to create enough damage. Rs 46 (= $1) can be used to achieve a lot more in in India than in USA. I was shocked to see that agencies such as the Ploughshare Funds is not transparent in their dealings. Its aim was nonproliferation. I have no objection to that. It appears that they will be liberal in funding  any group

In light of many claims by NGOs several surveys were done earlier. None of them indicated any adverse health impact due to uranium mining. The issue went upto the Supreme Court of India (the highest judicial forum) through a Public Interest Litigation. The Court had didsmissed the petition indicating that it has no merit. All this happened many months before the Indian NGO with financial support from the Ploughshare Funds initiated the disinformation campaign.

Regards
K.S.Parthasarathy