[ RadSafe ] Re:Source in Twin towers

Mon Oct 5 12:43:17 CDT 2009

On a total activity basis, K-40 undoubtedly as the isotope that
contributed the most activity in that disaster.

In any event, radioactivity is so far down health hazards associated
with the Twin Towers that I hope no one spent much time worrying about
it, especially as the pathway of greatest concern was inhalation, and
the measures taken to protect from much greater inhalation hazards would
work nicely for any rad mat in the wreckage and rubble.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Geo>K0FF
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 9:40 AM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl; Clayton J Bradt
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Re:Source in Twin towers

Clayton, what about the possibility of hundreds of kg of DU in the
counterweights in the airplanes. Was it serendipity that these two
planes either had them replaced with other materials ( tungsten?) or
never had it in the first place? Or did they. The manufacturer's claim
no.

Have any large planes crashed that DID contain the DU for
counterweights?

>From  a chart on DU counterweights:

DC-10 1000 kg
L-1011 680 kg
747- 850 kg

Additionally, many aircraft parts, including engines are made with
thorium.
All thorium isotopes are radioactive.

Cd-109, Am-241, Fe-55 could be present in industrial gauges had any been
stored in any of the offices in New York.

It is unlikely that the fire protection system's smoke detectors used
Am-241, as most modern industrial detectors use the photoelectric
method, and other non radioactive methods. It is likely that any extra
battery operated smoke detectors installed by the tenant DO contain
Am-241. However if Pyrotronics industrial smoke detectors happened to
have been used in a central system, they contain 80 uCi of Am 241 each.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a DU alarmist. I actually use DU in my
work, as shielding and as a beta source.

Other building materials of concern are asbestos ( used to fireproof
steel
supports) and mercury ( 1 drop in every fluorescent lamp) One could
surmise that a substantial puddle of liquid mercury existed at the
lowest point in the rubble.

Pictures of thorium airplane parts, counterweights etc. by request. All
taken by myself and with radiation detection equipment shown.

George Dowell
New London Nucleonics Lab