[ RadSafe ] Re:Source in Twin towers

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Mon Oct 5 11:39:55 CDT 2009

Clayton, what about the possibility of hundreds of kg of DU in the
counterweights in the airplanes. Was it serendipity that these two planes
either had them replaced with other materials ( tungsten?) or never had it
in the first place? Or did they. The manufacturer's claim no.

Have any large planes crashed that DID contain the DU for counterweights?

>From  a chart on DU counterweights:

DC-10 1000 kg
L-1011 680 kg
747- 850 kg

Additionally, many aircraft parts, including engines are made with thorium.
All thorium isotopes are radioactive.

Cd-109, Am-241, Fe-55 could be present in industrial gauges had any been
stored in any of the offices in New York.

It is unlikely that the fire protection system's smoke detectors used
Am-241, as most modern industrial detectors use the photoelectric method,
and other non radioactive methods. It is likely that any extra battery
operated smoke detectors installed by the tenant DO contain Am-241. However
if Pyrotronics industrial smoke detectors happened to have been used in a
central system, they contain 80 uCi of Am 241 each.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a DU alarmist. I actually use DU in my work, as
shielding and as a beta source.

Other building materials of concern are asbestos ( used to fireproof steel
supports) and mercury ( 1 drop in every fluorescent lamp) One could surmise
that a substantial puddle of liquid mercury existed at the lowest point in
the rubble.

Pictures of thorium airplane parts, counterweights etc. by request. All
taken by myself and with radiation detection equipment shown.

George Dowell
New London Nucleonics Lab