[ RadSafe ] Airfilter gamma spectrum 1986

Thu Oct 15 18:13:52 CDT 2009

The difference between current data and Egyptian hieroglyphics is that in a thousand years the hieroglyphics will still be readable.  Indeed, it may only take about 5 years for modern data to be unreadable.

2 operating system changes = 1 electro-magnetic pulse attack

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:43 AM
To: 'Peter Bossew'; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] Airfilter gamma spectrum 1986

Peter,

May I remind you, that you yourself have in the course of your work for the infamous "Gammameßstelle" in Vienna recorded quite a few spectra - didn't you save them..... (No pun intended, I am just teasing you...) You should know that my laboratory has collected hundreds if not thousands of spectra during the "critical time". I only remember that E Henrich has changed all the time the storing routines, going from PDP 11 RL01 to RL02 etc. I do not know what happened with all those backup media, but I am rather sure that they cannot be read anymore. I have not bothered to follow the tracks, but if anybody might give you an answer when it comes to Austria it might be Mr.
Katzelberger at AGES. Otherwise I would recommend to contact for instance the Swedish Radiation Protection Institute (SSI) or the Finnish one (Säteiliturvallisuskeskus), where high concentrations were recorded. The same is true for Munich-Neuherberg and many others also in some Eastern parts of Europe.

For me it is a confirmation of my scepticism toward the more than rapid development of digital storage techniques because at every change information gets lost.

I heard that you have a new job? Gratulations!

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.