[ RadSafe ] 'How Low Doses Of Radiation Can Cause Heart Disease And Stroke'

Fri Oct 23 13:48:15 CDT 2009

This should be fairly easy to verify by looking at long term residents
of areas with different background levels, and seeing if there is a
trend, once all confounding issues are accounted for.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Monty Charles
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 8:57 AM
To: Mark Ramsay; srp-uk at yahoogroups.com; Radsafe;
HASNET-RAD at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ RadSafe ] 'How Low Doses Of Radiation Can Cause Heart Disease
AndStroke'

I don't think one can be complacent about this. Evidence is slowly
mounting
in support a low dose effect (below 0.5Gy) for non-cancer diseases. One
factor which led ICRP (Publication 103) and UNSCEAR (2006) not to
include non-cancer risks in their general low dose risk estimates was
the
lack of an underlying biological mechanism. The paper of Little et al is
worth
a read. Their mathematical model has a reasonable biological basis and
predicts LNT for cardiovascular disease. The authors point out the
limitations of the the model - but it has the great virtue of being
testable by
in-vitro, animal or human studies. It gains plausibility by predicting
excess
relative risk values in line with observed values from a range of
epidemiology studies. The mathematics will be intractable to many but
the
table which compares model  predictions with radiation epidemiology data
is
clear.

Monty Charles

Dr Monty Charles