[ RadSafe ] Alarm on AMS3

Marshall, Elaine emarshall at lrri.org
Tue Oct 27 17:02:49 CDT 2009

We have some old (but quite functional) AMS-3 Beta CAMs that we are
looking to put into service.

In testing the equipment, we noticed that the audible alarm is
excessively loud for the workspace.  The ambient noise levels are around
70 dB and the alarm goes off closer to 105 dB.  An additional concern is
that this alarm will be in an area in which animals may be present.  We
are looking for ways to lower the alarm level to maybe just 15 - 20 dB
over ambient without disabling it or jeopardizing its response.

Does any one have any ideas?  The User's Manual is silent.  Thermo has
not responded to my inquiries.

Elaine T. Marshall, CHP

Radiation Safety Officer

Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute