AW: [ RadSafe ] What Are Radionuclear Materials?

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Sun Sep 20 17:12:53 CDT 2009

I agree with Franz.

Regards,

Sandy
Sent via ATT by Moto Q9h

-----Original Message-----
Doug, Scott and RADSAFErs,

As you all know, I am not a native speaker, but some say that I have a good
command of English and many say that I have a good feeling for terms.

I have never heard before the term "radionuclear" and this though all
relevant scientific literature is in English. I consume quite a lot of
scientific literature.

My feeling is that the term "...nuclear..." will provoke at the very first
moment an association to "nuclear bomb" or "nuclear power". So it did for
me. My second association was, that this might come from greens. They are
masters (or they hire them) to create words, which could intimitate or at
least create a negative reputation for anything nuclear. One example, which
I hope I can explain well enough for non-German speakers:

In about the 70's there was a fierce debate within the green groups on how
to call "nuclear power" in their pamphlets, their propaganda and in their
press releases. In German "nucleus" is "Kern". But this is also used for the
stones of cherries, apricot, plums, grapes etc. as well as a synonym for
"center". The all-German translation of Nuclear Power Plant is
"Kernkraftwerk" abbreviated KKW. The top greens insisted, that this term was
not to be used by them, because it would "downplay" the horrors of NPP by
associating them to fruits and other harmless things. Instead there had to
be used the term "Atomkraftwerk", because "Atom" would automatically be
associated with "Atombombe" (nuclear bomb).

I hope this explains, why I am much against such a term. Additionally I
think we need not invent new terms, we have enough.

Best regards!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Wien/Vienna
AUSTRIA

PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE:   This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain proprietary information of Mirion Technologies and/or its affiliates.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, delete the original message and all attachments from your computer, and destroy any copies you may have made.  Thank you.