[ RadSafe ] Proposed NRC Regulation open for comment

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:33:47 CDT 2010

Dear Jeff:

As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the fact that Yucca Mountain became
the only option early on and there was no viable reprocessing option
essentially created a condition in which the single repository became
extremely vulnerable to political manipulation.  Especially given that the
lead on the licensing was the DOE/Labs and not privately funded.

That being said, Yucca Mountain is essentially a "retrievable storage"
facility for the first 100 years or so of operation, so that waste can be
accumulated there and a reprocessing option developed 20-40 years in the
future.  The final waste form then could easily be licensed for disposal.

Based on the 10th Circuit Court decision, the total time for licensing of a
private mining facility based on the URI/HRI experience is now approaching
20 years.  I suspect that a reprocessing facility will take at least 20
years to license, possibly 40.  Who has the money for that?

Again, quoting from the greatest mining poem of the last couple of
centuries, from "The Spell of the Yukon" by Robert Service -

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=175983

I cannot help but think for the Yucca Mountain project:

   They're making my money diminish;
   I'm sick of the taste of champagne.
   Thank God! when I'm skinned to a finish
   I'll pike to the Yukon again.
   I'll fight-and you bet it's no sham-fight;
   It's hell!-but I've been there before;
   And it's better than this by a damsite-
   So me for the Yukon once more.

Dan ii