[ RadSafe ] Salsman warning

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 17:22:08 CDT 2010

Mike,

    You wrote, " Does anyone know if it has been possible to differentiate between the effect of smoking and alpha exposure in the miners?" This issue is compounded by the fact that smoking has it's own associated alpha exposure, see http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/01/opinion/01proctor.html - Puffing on Polonium.  Polonium 210 is present in both tobacco and as a decay daughter of Uranium; its present in Uranium mines.  I would presume that the most effective means of determining the comparative health effect is to compare lung cancer rates between non-smoker and smokers who are Uranium miners.  I believe that the following articles were written in regards to just such as studies, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11007458 - Radon progeny exposure and lung cancer risk among non-smoking uranium miners, and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19959947 Accounting for smoking in the radon-related lung cancer risk among German uranium miners:
 results of a nested case-control study.  The conclusion of the German study, which as written up in Health Physics was: "This stability of the radon-related lung cancer risks with and without adjustment for smoking suggests that smoking does not act as a major confounder in this study and presumably also not in the cohort study".

   Given the relatively high incidence rate, when compared to non-smokers, of lung cancer among smokers in the general population, its very interesting that the effect of smoking among miner "does not act as a major confounder".  What, if anything, does this say about the potential health effects in the general population from Radon gas exposure at home and at work?  Is the effect enough to warrant remediation of existing building and inclusion of preventative methods in new construction?  I would say based on my anecdotal observations that few building owners or builders give much thought to Radon gas.  A colleague of mine has complained over the years about what he felt were an excess of Radon related articles in the Health Physics Journal.  Our society has placed a great emphasis on quitting smoking because of the adverse health consequences.  Are we missing a potentially greater danger that is silently seeping into our homes?
Roy Herren