[ RadSafe ] Radiation scare tactics

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Thu Apr 29 11:51:14 CDT 2010

Radsafers

with all the discussion on the new "reveal all" book about Chernobyl, it's
worth considering an unintended consequence of the radiation "scare
messages" that was discussed at a meeting of the Midwest HP chapter.
(Something that hadn't occurred to me, but thankfully others are aware of
it and are trying to come up with working strategies.)

 As a result of the MSM continually shouting about how lethal, deadly,
etc, ANY radiation is - -  first responders, hospitals, and even some
doctors will not commit to being available to treat people in the event of
an improvised radiological dispersion device.   I don't have any
specifics, but it turns out that at least a few hospitals are thinking
about refusing to let contaminated individuals into their emergency rooms,
and what's even more discouraging is that first responders are equally
hesitant about dealing with radiation contamination.  (The discussions
indicated that they'd enter a burning building, but not if it had
radiation contamination.)

It sounds like the NCRP and ICRP need to get a document out from a
"trusted source" that puts contamination into perspective.  In the
meantime, is there something that the HPS can do officially, again as a
"trusted source?"

I've started talking to friends, neighbors, etc to get a message out
there, but haven't started sending letters to the editor yet.  If the HPS
could come up with some good words, I'd be more than happy to spread them
around.

Disclaimer, - -these are not the thoughts, positions, or opinions of my
company or management.  I guess that's why they're so clear and well
reasoned.  ;-)
enough  - -jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768