[ RadSafe ] Radiation scare tactics

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Thu Apr 29 12:33:54 CDT 2010

Many states and cities have an on-going training program with first responders. Not all geographical areas have the concerns/issues outlined by John. The HPS also has programs and outreach to those who request information and/or support. Pennsylvania has an excellent program and the first responders at the highest levels have reached out. An excellent presentation given recently by Rob Forrest, University of PA, where he not only was involved in training first responders, they had actual exercises to detect radioactive materials, and had knowledge of what to do. Therefore, it's an issue of having the right resources available, the willingness of individuals who have to respond to seek information, guidance and support, etc.

What I find humorous is that the issue of radiation exposure, contamination, etc., for first responders, be they police and/or firemen, as well as hospital response, is not a new subject. Back in the 1970s as part of our reactor emergency planning, agreements were initiated with all entities, drills were held routinely and training was provided. The only difference now is that we're talking about potential terrorists activities and before it was nuclear power incidents, fires in radioactive storage facilities, etc. To me, radiation is radiation, and the dialogue really isn't that different.

First responders are willing to learn and they want to perform their duties. More outreach opportunities exists. Seize them!

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle
President