No subject

Fri Apr 23 14:26:27 CDT 2010

list, I got the impression that most of those who contributed their =
views=20
were not keeping an open mind. My knowledge of the field is limited. In =
such=20
instances I tried to look for the views of scholarly bodies. I am aware =
of=20
the controversies surrounding the IPPC. It appears to me that there is =
some=20
vested interest in some groups of individuals.=20

There were comments made on the views of APS. But the National Academy =
of=20
Sciences seems to support broadly the conclusions of IPPC. The British =
Royal=20
Society has come out with a summary of its observations on climate =
science.=20

It concludes thus:=20

"There is strong evidence that changes in greenhouse gas concentrations =
due=20
to human activity are the dominant cause of the global warming that has=20
taken place over the last half century. This warming trend is expected =
to=20
continue as are changes in precipitation over the long term in many =
regions.=20
Further and more rapid increases in sea level are likely which will have =

profound implications for coastal communities and ecosystems."=20

The report ends with the following:=20

..........."Like many important decisions, policy choices about climate=20
change have to be made in the absence of perfect knowledge. Even if the=20
remaining uncertainties were substantially resolved, the wide variety of =

interests, cultures and beliefs in society would make consensus about =
such=20
choices difficult to achieve. However, the potential impacts of climate=20
change are sufficiently serious that important decisions will need to be =

made.=20
Climate science - including the substantial body of knowledge that is=20
already well established, and the results of future research - is the=20
essential basis for future climate projections and planning, and must be =
a=20
vital component of public reasoning in this complex and challenging=20
area."....=20

[Royal Society Climate change: a summary of the science .September =
2010].=20

This report is available at=20

http://royalsociety.org/climate-change-summary-of-science/=20

I find it extremely difficult to believe that every scholarly body has=20
vested interest in the field. I am conscious of the fact that I belong =
to a=20
minority in the list. I am sure that there are many in the list who =
likes=20
to remain silent.=20

I personally believe that there is no need for supporting nuclear power =
for=20
its green-house reducing attributes.=20

regards=20
Parthasarathy=20