No subject

Fri Apr 23 14:26:27 CDT 2010

Perhaps if volatile products were retained by placing the irradiated
plastic in a hermetically sealed container it would result in a more
oil-like substance... (I doubt it, because the radiation is just going
to chop up those long organic chains into little individual links).

Cary

---
Cary Renquist
cary.renquist at ezag.com

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Ted de Castro
Sent: Wednesday, 03 November 2010 19:47
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Plastics and radiation exposure

Here's an off the wall muse .........

What would be the ultimate end product of plastics to GIGA doses (or=20
higher) of photon or maybe beta radiation?

ie.  Would it ultimately de-polymerize to something like what it started

from or an otherwise useful product - like maybe a fuel source?

Just a muse.  NOT considering economic viability or any such thing.

Just - what if a non-pc major "pollutant" - ie. rad waste got recycled=20
to the close proximity of another problem waste product - plastics - =20
might not something useful POSSIBLY arise.

We all can guess at an answer - but I'm suspecting that someone here=20
might KNOW the answer.