No subject

Fri Apr 23 14:26:27 CDT 2010

-------------
Radiation emitted by a computer monitor triggered a bomb scare that shut do=
wn a terminal at Newark, New  Jersey's Liberty International Airport, autho=
rities said, as they announced the investigation was over and the terminal =
reopened.

According to the FBI, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and oth=
er law enforcement officials, the device was being shipped in checked bagga=
ge on the same flight with its owner, and despite initial suspicions, there=
 was no cause for alarm.

"Based on initial reports we have received from our agents on the scene wor=
king with the Union County bomb squad and Port Authority Police Department =
and TSA, the suspicious package is a computer monitor emitting small amount=
s of radiation -which is normal for this device," said FBI agent Bryan Trav=
ers from the Newark Field Division. "The device is being shipped to the sam=
e destination as it's [sic] owner who is already in flight. It appears ther=
e is no cause for alarm, but authorities are taking the necessary precautio=
ns to be certain."

The possible device was discovered behind a counter, officials from the Por=
t Authority of New York and New Jersey told ABC News, and employees alerted=
 Transportation Security Administration Bomb Appraisal Officers, who began =
their investigation shortly after 7:00 a.m.

As Lily Tomlin once observed, "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't ke=
ep up."

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX