No subject

Fri Apr 23 14:26:27 CDT 2010

"Unlike models which are purely scientific correlations based on
experimental or other information, ICRP recommendations must be evaluated
in light of other factors such as cost-benefits, perceptions, and
political ramifications. Since 1978, the ICRP has made major revisions to
its basic radiation protection recommendations. These were published in
ICRP Publication 60 in 1990. This publication has
4 recommendations which supercede those of the ICRP Publication 26.
Because of timing and other considerations, NRC adopted only some of the
ICRP recommendations into Part 20. As an example, NRC adopted the ICRP-60
recommendation to lower the dose limit for the general public from 5 mSv
(500 mrem) per year to 1 mSv (100 mrem) per year. However, with respect to
the occupational exposures, even though ICRP-60 recommended a new
occupational dose limit of 100 mSv (10 rems) in 5 years with a 50 mSv (5
rem) maximum, NRC believed that a reduction in the annual dose limit was
not required since the annual average radiation dose to most occupational
workers in 1987 was already well below 20 mSv (2 rem). Furthermore, as a
part of the revised regulations, NRC included the concept of maintaining
radiation exposures as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA)."

I know that the 10CFR20 Revision, 1992-93 had the 1.0 mSv public dose
limit.

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle