[ RadSafe ] Interesting article

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:15:56 CDT 2010

"Most people are acutely aware of their own ignorance and fear"

Dear Wade:

I wish that what you said was true, but I have found is that people tend to
believe their own worst fears, especially when those fears are promoted by
groups with anti-nuclear agenda. I remember years ago (1995-1996) while
working at the Sosny Labs (Minsk, Belarus) on a Chernobyl project, when
asked by US Embassy personnel about my dosimetry, I told them that I was
getting about 80% of the dose that I would normally get living in
Albuquerque. I was told that I was lying. I gave them my dosimetry results
over the previous year, but they refused to believe it. Not long after that
I met an American tourist - who threw away the fruit that she was given by
her Belarusian host (a banana and an orange) because the US Embassy told her
to eat no fruit in Belarus because it was radioactive. I explained that the
banana and orange were certainly not grown in Belarus because the climate
was too cold.

Not too many years ago, New Mexico passed a new law relating to
"groundwater" quality, focused on uranium. Now every State has drinking
water quality standards, but New Mexico was coerced into formulating new
laws simply as an obstacle to uranium mining. Those intelligent,
well-educated lawmakers are not the kind that would be motivated by "real
explanations" but rather by the confused state of their constituencies and
the well-funded anti-mining lobbyists.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist