[ RadSafe ] Cellphone & Cancer Article

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 23:22:21 CDT 2010

I actually thought that for a lay article the author did a reasonable job of discussing the political issues as well as the problems with epidemiological studies. Is providing a discussion really a fault? So many authors would pick the answer they want based on fear or belief as you said rather than evaluating data.  This author here has stayed away from that.

The Health Physics Society fact sheet on cellphones  http://hps.org/documents/mobiletelephonefactsheet.pdf  states:  "Investigations into possible health effects of mobile phones will continue into the future, and it will be especially important to identify if there are any adverse effects in long-term users or children. The available evidence does not show that the use of mobile phones or exposure to emissions from their base stations causes brain cancer or any other health effect."

People who have not studied radiation effects know that some radiation is harmful and can't perform the type of evaluations some of us can.  If all radiation were harmless there would be no need for the field of Health Physics.  Perhaps it would be worthwhile for one of our HPs or physicists versed in nonionizing radiation of the wavelengths in question to provide a response in clear terms stating why there are no effects expected.  Long ago I went to a fabulous seminar at Yale about magnetic fields and the cellular mechanisms supporting the conclusion that living under power lines does not increase cancer rates in animals (humans).  It was easy to understand and to explain.  Here in two sentences is the conclusion that I remember: The cell membrane has huge microscopic local magnetic fields than power lines and so the magnetic field added from power lines is insignificant.  Therefore it is impossible that magnetic fields from power lines have any effect on cancer rates.

Barbara Reider, CHP