[ RadSafe ] Cell phone & Cancer Article

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 11:11:09 CDT 2010

John,

Thank you for your question, John, it made me think about this a little more than I had. Maybe someone (Bjorn???) can answer my questions below.

I myself have not studied magnetic fields which is why I think someone else would be better versed in providing a response to the Newsweek article and the statement you quoted is my recollection of the conclusion given in the seminar I went to in the 1990s.  I think the physicist at Yale who was at the seminar was Dr. Adair  who studied the magnetic fields surrounding cell membranes which according to him have a strong field due (if I state it correctly) to bipolar ion layers. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12483664.  His wife who also did research and participated in the seminar on RF was a biologist.  She has subjected animals to RF radiation and the predominant body response I recall that she noted was due to heating of tissue; I don't recall if she did studies of longer duration.

I also remember reading that microwave ovens were developed using a frequency that killed the spinal cord tissues of armed services personnel carrying radio equipment and working near radio towers on ships during WWII.  I long have believed as you indicated that RF from cellphones does not cause brain cancer as the wavelengths do not selectively damage  DNA.  Radiation related cancer initiation has long been linked to cell division, and nerve cells in adult brains don't divide and so are expected to be resistant to radiation damage. I don't know about division of other cell types in the brain.  There have been some interesting developments in cancer research this year - some of the specific proteins involved in faulty DNA repair have been identified as initiating cancer cell formation.

I pose a question:  is it impossible that RF heat damage to brain and other cells later results in cancer?  What are the proposed mechanisms and cell types involved?

I still wonder why breast cancer induction was used as the marker for some RF radiation cancer induction studies, is that because the cell types involved are the same as the cell types that are origins for some brain cancers?  Here's a link to research about origin cells for brain cancers, seems like there is still work to do on this  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090508093934.htm

Babara Reider, CHP