[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power in Saudi Arabia

Ahmad Al-Ani ahmadalanimail at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 01:24:01 CDT 2010

Comments below:

At 05:44 PM 8/22/2010, ROY HERREN wrote:

" They (the Saudis) could no doubt meet their domestic energy needs for many decades to come just by utilizing their natural
gas "

You have to look at energy issue as an intergrated global balance of energy demand and supply, not on a country by country basis. The current published trends indicate that around the year 2035, the Saudi oil output will break eeven with the domestic consumption. That is a two fold problem, revenues for Saudi Arabia, and less oil for the ever oil addicted nations. Such trend is influenced by the domestic developments, population increase, and slow down of oil production from soon to dry out wells.

Accordingly, the use of the Nuclear Power Plants in Saudi Arabia, or many OPEC nations, is a good global energy policy. Sustainable development for the exporters of oil, revival of an under-utilized technology, and extending the oil life line for the oil consumer nations.

" So then the million dollar question is why are they currently interested in obtaining Nuclear Power?"

Partially answered above, but in the words of a Saudi advisor to the king
"It is a pity to use oil, which is a valuable source of revenue, to meet
domestic electricity demand. It makes more sense to use oil
as a means of obtaining foreign currency."

I would add that many oil exporters can "afford" such projects at this time, and, there is no local active anti-nuclear groups to challenge such developments. Both factors are in reverse in many developed, oil consuming nations.

"How does the International Community go about assisting countries in obtaining peaceful use of Nuclear Power while at
the same time preventing proliferation of weapons grade fissile materials?"

This has already been materialized in the model adopted by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), world's fourth oil reserve country. Their model was called the "golden model" by the GWB US administration. The basics of that model is that the country gives up its national right of uranium enrichment and spent fuel reprocessing.

Many diplomatic battles are being fought as we speak concerning that issue. Worth mentioning, is the Israeli objection to the Jordanian Nuclear Power Plants project. Jordan is rich with Uranium ore and have already signed contracts with French Areva to mine the Uranium. Yet, the King of Jordan last month went public and disclosed the Israeli attempts to pressure Jordan to give up thier right to mine and enrich thier own domestic uranium supply.

For the commercial battle of all of this, see the Japanese prespective of it, in this recent 2 parts report

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201008200347.html

and

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201008200349.html

Ahmad Al-Ani